Thursday, February 27, 2014

Five Minute Friday - Small

This is my first time writing with the Five Minute Friday group...but definitely not the first time I thought about writing. Write for five minutes on a one word prompt, no editing allowed. Here I go...

Small…
She is so small, made even smaller by the way she is curled up and limp in her Daddy’s lap, burning up with a fever that has taken the sparkle out of her eyes and replaced it with clouds.
I am so small, watching from across the room, racked with anxiety that takes over my mind every time one of our girls gets sick.
Why can’t I remember in these tense moments that I have a God who is bigger than all of this? Why can’t my faith be bigger?
I pray – Oh, I definitely pray, every time I feel my hands start to shake. Every time my breaths grow shorter and more shallow. Every time I feel light-headed and so cold that three shirts and a blanket can’t bring the warmth back into my shivering body. I imagine if I didn’t pray, my anxiety would be even bigger than it is, threatening to dwarf every thought in my head. It’s just that the prayers don’t always seem big enough.
We are both so small, but I will not give up. I will keep trying to grow bigger, exercising my faith muscles in an effort to bring it closer to God-size, and further from Our-size.

Stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment