Friday, March 21, 2014

Surprised By Motherhood

I've read a lot of parenting books. More accurately, I've read a lot of them, but also only started reading more of them and then stopped because I just couldn't relate enough to make it worth continuing.

I just finished reading a free sneak peek of the first three chapters of Surprised by Motherhood, by Lisa Jo Baker. Now I have to wait until April 1st when it's released (I pre-ordered it the minute I finished the introduction!) and I really wish I didn't! 


This book is so very different from all the other books I've read or only partially read. She really gets it -- that feeling you have that all the other women who say they love every minute of being a mother and wouldn't trade it for anything are so much better than you are because you don't always feel that way.

My favorite quote so far (and one that made me feel like she had somehow gotten into my own head) - "Parenting is not for the faint of heart. And it's especially not for those type A personalities accustomed to having all their ducks in a row, all their check boxes checked, and their sofa cushions, cereal boxes, and entire lives neatly arranged." Yup - this type A personality has a HARD time with the disorder that is our lives right now, living with teen, pre-teen and toddler girls!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, the parenting books! My well-meaning mother sent SEVERAL of them my way while I was pregnant. I can't blame her for trying to help, but those books are written as if they can predict what we will experience! So not true. I also wrote about how Surprised By Motherhood impacted me. http://turnoversbabyshop.com/blog/from-manhattan-to-motherhood

    ReplyDelete